Sunday, January 1, 2012

Write Your World: The New Year Is Here!

So, a lot of us have traditions when it comes to the holidays. Seeing as one just passed us by, let's take a look at that. New Years Eve - the holiday that brings a few specific things to my mind.

First of all, I obviously think of alcohol. Now, don't misunderstand, while I did have a little to drink last night, I didn't get anywhere near drunk. I am not saying that this is a tradition for me personally, just one that most people seem to associate with New Years Eve. It's like, "Oh hey, it's the end of a year. Let's get completely smashed so that we don't remember anything!" I'm not trying to bash people that do that, I just don't get it. I once was one of those people, though, so you would think I would understand, but I don't. I don't understand why I EVER did that. I no longer think that being drunk is any fun, in fact, quite the opposite! Basically, I like to be in control, and if something fun happens, I would like to remember it.

Second, I think of fireworks. I certainly heard quite a few last night, although sadly, I did not see any. I almost find it sad that we have a firework show for July 4th but not for New Years, but seeing as I don't even go on the 4th of July, I suppose it's not a big deal.

Third, I think of resolutions. Now, that could have easily been the first thing, but seeing as it doesn't actually take effect until AFTER New Years I thought it could go toward the end. Now, a lot of us make promises to ourselves to lose a certain amount of weight, or do some sort of thing that by the end of January we have given up on. I'm going to admit that I have only ever once been successful in a New Years Resolution. When I was 14 I resolved that I would grow closer in my Walk with God. I did. I no longer really make resolutions, but this year I did make goals, and I intend to keep them!

Lastly, I think of new beginnings. I chose to clean my room over the past two days because of something that a friend said in her blog. She talked about how what we spend New Years day doing is what we will spend the year doing. Well, I wanted to spend my day writing and reading and spending time with family, so I HAD to get the boring stuff out of the way! I still need to organize, but hey, it's a start! And I AM spending my day pretty much as planned! I also feel like it is a time for spiritual renewal. I will be starting a fast tomorrow for 21 days, and I will be relying on God to fill up all of those holes that will be left where gluten and *sigh* sugar once were. I really can't wait to have to completely lean on Him. This will be a great experience for me, and it will clean me out physically AND spiritually for a great start to the year.

Things are going to be amazing in 2012. I have felt it for quite some time now. I KNOW God is going to do great works in me and those around me. I KNOW that I can accomplish my goals if only I give it my all. I am going to be driven this year, for once. My life is back on track, and I am in for an amazing ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment